0 of 10 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
16. Why does the author discuss the terms “coast” and “shore” in paragraph 1?CorrectIncorrect
17. The word submerged in paragraph 1 is closest in meaning toCorrectIncorrect
18. All of the following statements accurately describe coasts and shores EXCEPT:CorrectIncorrect
19. According to the passage, why do many coasts have characteristics of shores?CorrectIncorrect
20. It can be inferred from paragraph 3 that the Oregon coast isCorrectIncorrect
21. Which of the following is given as a cause of the different shapes of Pacific and Atlantic type coastlines?CorrectIncorrect
22. Which sentence below best expresses the essential information in the highlighted sentence in paragraph 4?CorrectIncorrect
23. The word batter in paragraph 4 is closest in meaning toCorrectIncorrect
24. According to paragraph 4, tectonic activity affects coasts and shores byCorrectIncorrect
25. Look at the four squares, A , B , C and D , which indicate where the following sentence could be added to the passage. Where would the sentence best fit?
The straightness or irregularity of a coastline depends on the processes that have shaped it.
A In areas where river valleys meet the sea along a rocky coast, bays are likely to occur. The direction of the structural “grain” of the coastal rock affects the shape of the coastline. B If the grain is mostly parallel to the coast, as along the Oregon coast, the mouths of few rivers will indent the coastline because river valleys tend to follow the grain. C Such coastlines—called Pacific type—are likely to be smooth, straight, or gently curving. D On the other hand, if the grain of the rock is at an angle to the coast, as in Maine and Norway, many more valleys will reach the coastline, forming closely spaced bays. Such coastlines are of the Atlantic type.CorrectIncorrect