0 of 8 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
8. It can be inferred from paragraph 1 that the Harlem Renaissance is the name of
9. The word prolific in paragraph 2 is closest in meaning to
10. What is significant about The Weary Blues?
11. According to the passage, Langston Hughes did all of the following EXCEPT
12. The word sham in paragraph 3 is closest in meaning to
13. The word overshadowed in paragraph 4 is closest in meaning to
14. Which sentence below best expresses the essential information in the highlighted sentence in paragraph 4?
15. Look at the four squares, A , B , C and D , which indicate where the following sentence could be added to the passage. Where would the sentence best fit?
The success of this book helped finance Hughes’s further education at Lincoln University in Pennsylvania.
Langston Hughes was born in Missouri in 1902. He began to write poetry in high school and later attended Columbia University in New York. A After one year at university, Hughes commenced a nomadic life in the United States and Europe. B He shipped out as a merchant marine and worked in a Paris nightclub, all the while writing and publishing poetry. C His prolific literary career was launched in 1926 with the publication of his first book, The Weary Blues, a collection of poems on African American themes set to rhythms from jazz and blues. D His first novel appeared in 1930, and from that point on Hughes was known as “the bard of Harlem.”