0 of 12 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
28. In paragraph 1, the author states that the earliest suspension bridges
29. The word assumed in paragraph 1 is closest in meaning to
30. Which sentence below best expresses the essential information in the highlighted sentence in paragraph 2? Incorrect choices change the meaning in important ways or leave out essential information.
31. According to the passage, all of the following are features of the suspension bridge EXCEPT
32. Which of the following statements applies to the Menai Bridge in Wales?
33. In paragraph 4, the author makes the point that the Brooklyn Bridge
34. It can be inferred from the passage that a suspension bridge and a cable–stayed bridge differ in
35. The word graceful in paragraph 5 is closest in meaning to
36. The author uses the word impressive in paragraph 5 in order to
37. The phrase keyed into in paragraph 5 is closest in meaning to
38. Paragraph 6 supports which of the following statements about the Golden Gate Bridge?
39. Look at the four squares, A , B , C and D , which indicate where the following sentence could be added to the passage. Where would the sentence best fit?
To protect the cables from weakening under stress, the designers added features to maintain a constant sag.
The bridge designers created a structure that would control, rather than try to prevent, the movement caused by high winds and extreme temperatures. Each of the two towers is constructed with cross–bracing to stiffen the structure against the force of the wind. A The ends of the roadway assembly are hinged to the towers, enabling the entire structure to rotate slightly on a horizontal plane. B Sets of trusses along the roadway serve to stiffen the curvature of the cables and to minimize bending caused by wind pressure. The bottom corners of the stiffening trusses rest on flexible vertical columns called rocker arms. C In very hot weather, the roadway will expand, and the ends of the bridge will slide toward the towers. D To prevent this movement from affecting cars on the bridge, expansion joints are built into the road surface on both sides of each tower.