0 of 13 Questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
1. Which sentence below best expresses the essential information in the highlighted sentence in paragraph 1? Incorrect choices change the meaning in important ways or leave out essential information.
2. The word eccentricity in paragraph 2 is closest in meaning to
3. The phrase devoid of in paragraph 3 is closest in meaning to
4. Which of the following can be inferred from paragraph 3 about the naming of the dark areas on the moon’s surface?
5. All of the following occur during a lunar cycle EXCEPT:
6. Which statement is true of a gibbous moon?
7. The word wane in paragraph 6 is closest in meaning to
8. The period of time between successive new moons is known as
9. At what point in the lunar cycle is the dark side of the moon faintly illuminated?
10. The phrase ushers in in paragraph 7 is closest in meaning to
11. According to the passage, which of the following is a benefit of the Harvest Moon?
12. Look at the four squares, A , B , C and D , which indicate where the following sentence could be added to the passage. Where would the sentence best fit?
This is because tidal distortion by the earth over time has slowed the moon’s rotation period to match its orbital period.
A The moon rotates slowly on its axis, making one complete rotation in a period of time exactly equal to its orbit around the earth. B Thus, the moon keeps the same hemisphere or face turned toward the earth at all times. We do not, however, always see only half of the moon’s surface from the earth. C The eccentricity of the lunar orbit allows us to see additional lunar surface through irregular movements called librations, which expose an extra 18 percent of the moon’s surface at one time or another. D
13. An introductory sentence for a brief summary of the passage is provided below. Complete the summary by selecting the THREE answer choices that express the most important ideas in the passage. Some sentences do not belong in the summary because they express ideas that are not presented in the passage or are minor ideas in the passage. This question is worth 2 points.
Several important features characterize the moon.
Discover which popular Task 1 Introduction sentence is a “score-killer” and the “perfect” alternative for rapidly earning points and contributing to a high score like 26