0 of 12 questions completed
You have already completed the quiz before. Hence you can not start it again.
Quiz is loading…
You must sign in or sign up to start the quiz.
You must first complete the following:
Time has elapsed
You have reached 0 of 0 point(s), (0)
Earned Point(s): 0 of 0, (0)
0 Essay(s) Pending (Possible Point(s): 0)
- Review / Skip
1. In using the term internal environment in paragraph 1, the author is talking aboutCorrectIncorrect
2. The word constraint in paragraph 2 is closest in meaning toCorrectIncorrect
3. Why can animals survive only in a limited range of body temperatures?CorrectIncorrect
4. According to paragraph 3, why are the terms “cold–blooded” and “warm–blooded” inaccurate for classifying animals?CorrectIncorrect
5. The word optimum in paragraph 4 is closest in meaning toCorrectIncorrect
6. The word exploit in paragraph 5 is closest in meaning toCorrectIncorrect
7. Which of the following statements can be inferred about ectotherms?CorrectIncorrect
8. Why does the author use the term energetically expensive in paragraph 6?CorrectIncorrect
9. Which sentence below best expresses the essential information in the highlighted sentence in paragraph 7? Incorrect choices change the meaning in important ways or leave out essential information.CorrectIncorrect
10. All of the following are mentioned as advantages of endothermy EXCEPTCorrectIncorrect
11. Which of the following is a mechanism that promotes heat loss?CorrectIncorrect
12. Look at the four squares, A , B , C and D , which indicate where the following sentence could be added to the passage. Where would the sentence best fit?
Many endotherms maintain a consistent internal temperature even as the temperature of their surroundings fluctuates.
A All animals produce heat from cellular metabolism, but in most the heat is conducted away as fast as it is produced, so the amount of heat obtained from metabolism is very small. In these animals, the ectotherms, body temperature is determined almost entirely by their surroundings. B Most invertebrates, fishes, amphibians, and reptiles are ectotherms. C In contrast, some animals are able to generate and retain enough heat from metabolism to elevate their own body temperature to the optimum level. These animals are called the endotherms because the source of their body heat is internal. D Mammals, birds, some fishes, and numerous insects are endotherms.CorrectIncorrect